This is a site test to determine the consistency or workability of concrete and is conducted in the lab or on site .Nowadays, this test is commonly replaced by the Slump Test to determine the workability of the green concrete . The procedure of this test in brief is as follows;
1. Ensure the apparatus and associated equipment are clean before test and free from hardened concrete and superfluous water .
2. Weigh the bottom cylinder to nearest 10gm , put it back on the stand and cover it up with a pair of floats .
3. Gently fill the upper hopper with the sampled concrete to the level of the rim with use of a scoop .
4. Immediately open the trap door of the upper hopper and allow the sampled concrete to fall into the middle hopper .
5. Remove the floats on top of the bottom cylinder and open the trap door of the middle hopper allowing the sampled concrete to fall into the bottom cylinder .
6. Remove the surplus concrete above the top of the bottom cylinder by holding a float in each hand and move towards each other to cut off the concrete across the top of cylinder .
7. Wipe clean the outside of cylinder of concrete and weigh to nearest 10gm .
8. Subtract the weight of empty cylinder from the weight of cylinder plus concrete to obtain the weight of partially compacted concrete .
9. Remove the concrete from the cylinder and refill with sampled concrete in layers .
10. Compact each layer thoroughly with the standard Compacting Bar to achieve full compaction .
11. Float off the surplus concrete to top of cylinder and wipe it clean .
12. Weigh the cylinder to nearest 10gm and subtract the weight of empty cylinder from the weight of cylinder plus concrete to obtain the weight of fully compacted concrete .
13. The compacting factor ( CF ) = ( weight of partially compacted concrete ) divided by ( weight of fully compacted concrete ) .
Disclaimer; This wiki article is contributed by our members without formal peer review and should not be taken as legal or contractual advice. All information read here is without any implied warranty of fitness for any purpose or use whatsoever. Even articles that have been vetted by informal review may later have been edited inappropriately, just before you view them.